Friday, February 26, 2010

Oh, Kalamazoo....

Dear Blog Friends,

If you ever have to chance to visit Kalamazoo, MI there are two things you should know before arriving.

1.) The snow is absolutely beautiful in the winter. A white blanket of soft snow covers rooftops, tree branches and driveways alike. Toddlers bundled up in snow suits frolic around in snow covered playgrounds, amidst huge perfect flakes falling from the sky.y

2.) Do not spend too much time here or you will die of boredom.

During my five day stint here in Kazoo (as the locals call it) I caught what the cast has been referring to as "the beauty plague." It seems that everyone in the cast has been getting this massive cold that won't quit, and I am no exception. Two days ago I almost called out of the show (using a sick day and allowing the swing to step in for me) but I tried to be tough and go through with it. Then yesterday, I went to the doctor and decided to give the show a miss last night. Because I decided to do that I am feeling much better today. But that is not the point to this blog entry. The point to the acknowledge and thank our Beauty and the Beast Company Manager, Deborah, for her kindness and generosity. I called her yesterday at 10am asking to go to the doctor and within 15 minutes she was ready to go, with a cab waiting outside and a doctor already picked out. To put this into context for you all, Deborah is responsible for the entire cast, and crew, travel information, scheduling, tickets, payroll, all financial obligation, company communication, resolving issues between company members, disciplinary action, and overall company well being. This same woman took three hours out of her day to take me to the doctor, wait for me and make sure I got home alright. Needless to say, I am extremely grateful for her and counting my blessings that we have a person like her to lead us and care for us during the next year and a half! I would also like to thank our swing, Chandon, for stepping in for me last night. A couple of hours before the show, she was notified that she was going on and I heard from everyone that she was a champ! Way to go, Chandon! She really saved me last night.

*Lokah Samasta Suhkino Bavhantu*
May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all. (including Deborah, and ME!)

Om Shantih, Namaste.
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Sounds like a whirlwind couple of days you had in Kalamazoo. Hope you feel better now! I'm crossing fingers and knocking on wood that I don't get sick in my tour. No understudy or swing for me!

    Blessings,

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete